You guys have REALLY laid it on thick with your overwhelming response to ‘Empire’—and it’s your fault I’m not watching it.
Every Wednesday evening, when I log onto Facebook and/or Instagram for my evening dose of updates about your food, workouts, kids, how much you love ‘bae,’ and whoever pissed you off at work that day, you continually solidify my choice to avoid this show.
Because I don’t watch the show, I forget Wednesday night is ‘Empire’ night—but of course I am brutally forced into remembering, because for about an hour leading up to ‘Empire,’ as well as the duration of the episode, the rest of the evening, and maybe the first few posts the next day, all I see is ‘Empire’ this, “Cookie” this, and “Lucius” that.
I don’t know if you know this, but I have a propensity for contrarian thinking. It really gets under my skin when EVERYONE goes nuts over something at once; more often than not, that kind of behavior drives me further and further away from said beloved thing.
Examples of my contrarian nature—as it relates to film & television:
- It took me 2 years to start watching ‘Scandal’ because the way you all salivated over that show was unconscionable. Seriously. You all needed to check yourselves into a detox program during Season 1 of ‘Scandal.’
- I saw ‘Frozen’ once, because I was forced to. I liked it okay, but I’ve never seen it since, and don’t have the desire to see it again.
- I will not go anywhere near ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ until at least season 2 or 3.
To be clear, I am in no way challenging whether or not these are good shows/films. Actually, I’m sure there’s a reason so many people like them. My issue is, there’s just too much excitement, too much passion, too fast. The speed at which an entire group, consisting of millions of people, can join in this madness seems other-worldly, even supernatural, to me. So in these cases, I feel the insanity just needs to die down a bit, and the excitement levels need to normalize, before I can fully get on board.
Bottom line for me, when it comes to ‘Empire’—I’ll catch up with you guys in a year or so. I want to make sure your mental faculties are still in tact and that you’re still able to form a complete sentence after the summer hiatus has come to and end and you’ve been ‘Empire’-free for a few months.
Meanwhile, feel free to drop me a line if you watch any of the following:
- Walking Dead
- Mad Men
- Doctor Who (reboot, not Classic)
- Game of Thrones
- Modern Family
- Orange is the New Black
- The Office (I know it’s over, but for me it’s NEVER over…)