Fun fact: I love music. LOVE it. And I’m not a snob about it. You know, I don’t say things like, “Oh I don’t listen to anything that was released after 1999” or whatever. I’ll give anything a shot at least once—even this new-fangled crazy-sounding stuff. That said, once I’ve determined I don’t like someone, it takes an act of God for me to give them a second shot. (Maybe someday I’ll do a list of the artists I don’t like. Hmm. Yeah, let’s put a pin in that.)
Today, I’m going to share my favorite playlists to blast when I’m working. Which, if you’ve read my last post, you’ll know takes up a large chunk of my time. You’ll notice a lot of these are movie scores and soundtracks, and that’s because I prefer to hear instrumental music when I’m working. Lyrics make me sing along, then I get very distracted—I end up looking up the lyrics to a song, or looking up the artist on Wikipedia, and 45 minutes later I’ve completely lost track of what I was doing.
- “Amélie” film soundtrack (totally Parisian, takes me back to France every time I hear it, I’m obsessed with this soundtrack)
- Any “Harry Potter” film score, but #1 is my favorite (I love Hedwig’s Theme)
- “Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe” film score
- “Stardust” film score
- “Alice in Wonderland” film score (I should make an entire list of Danny Elfman soundtracks I love, but this one is my favorite right now)
- Compilation of Disney/Broadway songs I put together (stuff from Wicked, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, Little Mermaid, Lion King Broadway, Mamma Mia, Aladdin, Pinocchio, Hunchback of Notre Dame)
- Doctor Who Seasons 2-6 soundtrack (Note: even if you’ll never be interested in watching the show, it’s got some of the best music I’ve ever heard on ANY television show, period)
- My own “Gospel Throwbacks” playlist, which features nearly every song I’ve ever sung, with any gospel choir I’ve ever been a part of. Right now it’s up to 70+ songs, but I’m still hunting for a few outliers on Spotify.
Author’s note: This list by no means covers all the types of music I enjoy. But my musical tastes are very compartmentalized; I have working music, driving music, shower music, cooking/cleaning music, etc.
What kind of music do you listen to when you’re working, driving, etc.? Comment below!